“Seek inspiration from people, city streets and poisons of the mind. Grow your passion, but take care of your sanity or succumb to madness”.
A new life:
Welcome to decadent, art-loving 19th century alternative history Europe, and a roguelite game about finding inspiration, dealing with feelings, and painting masterpieces.
- You will be challenged by more than 66 unique feelings (each with a different effect), along with poverty and other wordly troubles. Hundreds of cards represent the complex psyche of your artist’s mind, and life in Nova Oportunia, the city known as the capital of contemporary art.
- All these artistic, amusing, horrible or lustful details of life are represented as lovingly painted cards that can be combined, collected, talked or thought about, visited, read or interacted and so on, resulting in a vast diversity of results, creating new cards and new opportunities of interaction. The creation of this game was inspired by a cult classic of similar format, but different vibes.
- Life of the artist is not easy. Poverty, physical ailments, sanity loss and other challenges regularly result in permadeath (a variety of permadeaths, beginning with dying to disease and ending with drinking oneself to death), followed by a tactful overview of your life (often miserable, addiction-fuelled, yet passionate) and legacy.
- During your life, unpleasant feelings will evolve from bad to worse if not dealt with. You will have to battle conditions like frustration, anxiety, anger, guilt, sadness, suicidal thoughts, and multitudes of other issues, including habits, addictions and temptations of various kind.
- As an artist, you can paint your sufferings into spectacular masterpieces, or counter them with pleasant feelings such as love, pure delight or peace. If all else fails, you can always seek solace in the Bar Avenue establishments, hoping to drown the bleak thoughts in drink or more exotic soothments. Roguelite fans may enjoy the iron person mode. The game is illustrated by both human and AI artists, and includes 2275 unique tech-generated oil paintings (refrenced on historic 19th century art, which is in the public domain, for everyone to use freely). These illustrate the paintings you create and the thousands of little stories that make up every run.
- You may win numerous minor victories and a selection of grand victories. To win the grand victory, you must create a painting that will change the world.
- As your life evolves, unravels and expands in Nova Oportunia, life-changing secrets, ideas and experiences reach you. These can be thought about, developed, and in time, turned into the paintings that will change the world for thousands or millions of people, leaving a truly majestic legacy of your life.